Tips for Travelling Safely In the United States
by James Yee
Here are some tips that would provide you a safe tour to the United States:
1) Legal matters.
* These are the safety measures provided by the U.S. Embassy for tourists.
* Before leaving your own country, you should register with the U.S. Embassy (www.usembassy.gov). Provide them with your itinerary and copies of your passport. This will ensure that your whereabouts are known in case it is necessary to contact you during emergencies.
* Remember to have a valid passport. And if your travel requires a visa, your visas should always be intact with the passport. Go to ESTA for Visas and travel authorisation - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1. Remember to fill out all your information on the emergency page located inside your passport, or if you have a newer passport (which does not have this page); make sure you keep a contact card located with your passport.
* Be aware of all the local laws of the USA. Always be reminded that you should abide by the laws of the U.S. Constitution (www.usconstitution.net/const.html).
* Make multiple copies of the identification page of your passport. This will assist in the replacement of your passport if it is stolen or lost.
* If you have brought appliances that would make use of electrical systems, be aware of the voltages used with these devices.
* U.S. residential use 115 volts of electrical systems operated at 60 hertz. If your electric appliances operate on different voltages, you will need a voltage converter or transformer before plugging the appliance.
* The main wall sockets in the U.S. basically make use of 115 volts which looks like two parallel flat blades. Make sure to match the socket with the device by purchasing a converter.
3) Basic Information.
* The official language in the United States of America is English.