FREE Vegas Sites and Attractions
What to See and Do
by Tina Shaw and Brad Eldridge
There’s not much that is free in this world anymore, but in Vegas there is so much to do that won’t cost you a cent.
Check out these amazingly fantastic attractions for free – even more reasons to hop on a plane and get thee to Vegas.
• The Flamingos at The Flamingo hotel – live flamingos roaming around a secure island in the middle of Las Vegas is not a myth but a gorgeous reality and anyone can go and see them. Twice a day there is also a free wildlife demonstration (at 8.30am and 11am daily), where you will find out all the ins and outs about flamingos, turtles and black swans.
• The Fountains at Bellagio – the ‘dancing waters’ are a thing to be seen. In my opinion, this amazing fountain show is the foremost site to see in Las Vegas. Absolutely stunning.
Show Times: Monday – Friday 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. show every 1/2 hour 7:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. show every 15 minutes. Saturdays, Sundays* and Holidays 12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. show every 1/2 hour 7:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. show every 15 minutes
*On Sundays Fountain show times begin at 11 a.m. and run every 15 minutes for the Fountains Brunch at Jasmine.
Hot Tip: You get a bird’s eye view of the fountains from the Paris Eiffel Tower viewing deck and restaurant across the street.
• Botanical Gardens at Bellagio – these gardens are a must see for anyone and everyone. Take a walk through and admire these breathtaking displays of beautiful flowers, trees, gazebos, bridges and ponds. The expert horticulturists change these magnificent gardens every season and no two seasons are alike. Open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
• Welcome to Las Vegas sign – an absolute must see for any tourist. The neon lighted Las Vegas sign is as integral a site as the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles. Located just south of Mandalay Bay, it is an easy walk or cab ride along the Las Vegas Strip. Make sure you get a picture taken in front of the sign, but beware of kindly old gentlemen who offer to take the photograph for you, as they will expect to be paid for their efforts.
• Fremont Street Experience – with a canopy covering five city blocks and featuring over two million lights and 550 000 watts of sound and special effects, the Freemont Street Experience is a must for visitors of all ages. Located in downtown Las Vegas, this spectacular show is presented each night at 7.30, 8, 9, 10, 11 pm and midnight. You will also be entertained by over a dozen free concerts, street performers and special events every month along the pedestrian promenade. www.vegasexperience.com
• Circus Acts at Circus Circus – come and enjoy real circus performer’s everyday right in the middle of the Circus Circus Adventuredome. From jugglers, acrobats to magicians, the world’s largest permanent circus has it all for you. Shows daily from 11 am.
• Clown Show at Circus Circus – don’t mind a bit of clowning around? Well make sure you go and watch the clown show at Circus Circus and you’ll be sure to have a great time. Shows are held daily at noon, 1, 3 and 4 pm. Additional shows are held each Friday and Saturday night at 6, 7, 8 and 9 pm.
• Fall of Atlantis at Caesars Palace – this short 10 minute show incorporates an exciting fountain show, animatronic statues (including a 20 foot winged dragon), fire and water. So do remember to take your video camera to capture these mind blowing special effects and neon lights - while still inside a shopping mall. The show operates every hour on the hour Sunday - Thursday, 10 a.m. - 11 pm; Friday and Saturday, 10 am - midnight.
• Mirage Volcano – while you’re walking down the strip why not stop at the Mirage and take in this spectacular fire show out the front of the hotel. With realistic eruptions and lava flowing down the side of the volcano, it is easy to be mesmerised by this magnificent show. Begins nightly at 6 pm, then on the hour every hour until 11 pm.
Hot Tip: You get a spectacular view from the Bella View Suite, Venezia Tower rooms at the Venetian across the road.
• Sirens of TI at Treasure Island - get enchanted by the Sirens of TI as they lure a band of renegade pirates into their cove